Working Files

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
Mac
Working Files

Post by Mac » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Some questions have come in via email about Working Files.

Create a working file (.BE extension) to save your design as an editable and merge-able file. Your working file is saved for you automatically when you save a stitch file so you don’t have to ‘Save’ twice every time you make some changes – once for the stitch file and once for the working file.
Mac embroidery software "For The Rest Of Us!"

sandimacd

Re: Working Files

Post by sandimacd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:37 pm

I am new and not sure that I want to automatically overwrite the file that I am working on. Is it just the .BE file that is auto-saved (once you create it) or is it also the opened file that is auto-saved? I have been changing the name of the file immediately after opening it for fear of overwriting the original one that I opened.
Sandi in MT
embroidery on Mac OSX has opened up a new world to me...

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm

If you have saved the file during your session (or opened a saved one), auto-save will continue to use that file to save into.

If you just want to auto-save but not into the saved/opened file, Select All, Copy, Create a New Page, Paste. You can work there with Auto-save protection, but will not be overwriting your file.

Alternately you can use the File->Merge Working File on a blank design page.

Embroidery software and designs for Mac and Windows.
"Embroidery for the Rest Of Us!"

sandimacd

Post by sandimacd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:04 pm

WONDERFUL!
embroidery on Mac OSX has opened up a new world to me...

alio

Post by alio » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:06 am

confused about how to save a file that can be used on a brother se400. ive used the create letters and made a name and have been successful in embroidering it. i am trying to use a imaged embroidery file .pes and then add words to it. save it then embroider with it. when i try to load on my machine it shows nothing to select on the screen even though the file is in the folder on my computer. also the screen on Emb machine shows that memory has been used or freed when i add or remove files on the computer, just nothing to select is shown. if i used a .dst file it does show something to select but "can not use this file" when selected.
i thought i was not saving or exporting it correctly. but when i open it in embrilliance it shows it as a complete merged file. not separate words from the image part.

am i not saving to pes file correctly? is there something special to do after you add words to an image emb file?
thanks

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi, Alio,
Sorry we missed this question.
First, what is an imaged PES file?
If you mean a photo-stitch file, that may be the issue; sometimes they have too many stitches for the machine's memory.
Another possibility is that the embroidery is larger than a 4" sewing field. Does it fit in the 100mm x 100mm hoop?
That machine connects direct by USB to the computer, so putting a file in the machine should be as easy as drag-and-drop.

If you're on a Mac, another possibility is that the SE400 does not like the hidden files Mac will put on it. The solution to that is to save the file directly to the machine using Essentials or Convert It, Mac. These programs remove the Mac files as the .PES file is saved.
Give us some more particulars or even send in the file itself and we'll see what we can do to help.
-b

SewingSylph

Post by SewingSylph » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 am

@Alio, I use a Brother (different model than yours) and would like to emphasize what Admin wrote about the embroidery possibly being larger than the 4" sewing field. If my design is even on a single hoop line, let alone 1mm beyond, it simply won't upload into the machine despite being visible in the USB connection folder. However, once I make a minor tweak to bring it right under the hoop line, it fully uploads electronically. Hope this helps.

FCAlgor

Post by FCAlgor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am

I just downloaded EE. I saved .PES to my memory stick (I have brother pe-770). WHen I put stick into machine, only thing that shows up is documents and settings (2 separate folders). When I try to touch these nothings happens. I am trying to open up a letter monogram. Any suggestions??

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:24 am

The design may be too large for your hoop. Usually when a Brother machine cannot see a file, this is the case. You may also want to try an empty stick first, just to make sure there isn't anything else that causes the machine to quit reading files.
If you're using a Mac, make sure to use File->Save As Stitch File which will not only place the design on the stick, but will also remove OSX files that some machines do not like.