Resizing designs

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
encarna

Resizing designs

Post by encarna » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:59 am

When I reduce the size of a design, the numbers of stitches do not reduce. On the contrary, sometimes result in an increased number of stitches. At the same time the length of the stitch shortens and as a result I have a design with extremely small stitches (0,2 mm).
Would it be possible the option of 1) selecting the length of the stitch within a giving frame and 2) reducing the number of stitches when you reduce the size of a design.
Thank you
E.

EastWitch2

Re: Resizing designs

Post by EastWitch2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:31 am

Hi encarna!

When resizing a design Essentials does adjust the stitch count automatically.
Have you watched the video on Resizing at the link below which shows the ways to resize a design stitch file?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSjy6Ft2lkE

When you resize a design the number of stitches are shown in the bottom Status bar of the open working window.
So if you reduce the size of the design the number of stitches in the design are decreased from the original stitch count.
If you increase the size of the design the number of stitches in the design will increased and will be more than the original stitch count.

Do you see the stitch count of your original design and then the changed stitch count for the design when you resize it on the Status Bar when in Essentials?

Please let me know if this information helps you or if you need more help.

Just an added note:
You can scale down a stitch file to 50% of it's original size or increase the size of a stitch file to 200% of it's original size in Essentials but remember that the way a design was digitized will have a great bearing on how well the design will stitch out after it has been resized as mentioned in the Video on Resizing in Essentials.

East Witch

encarna

Post by encarna » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Thank you for your swift reply. I see what you mean. In fact, some designs would do so, but please see here what is happening to one (and some) of the designs I am working with. When resizing, the amount of stitches will not reduce, instead, they will reduce in LENGTH in order to fit all of them in the smaller design. So I end up with stitches smaller than 0.2 mm which is extremely unviable as the quilt looks perforated and running the risk of cutting the material.
Attachments
before.jpg
look at the number of stitches with original size
before.jpg (140.05 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
after.jpg
same number of stitches with reduced size
after.jpg (143.65 KiB) Viewed 4579 times

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Check your minimum stitch setting in the advanced settings for stitch recalculation in preferences. In general, running stitches such as quilting stitches are not good candidates for resizing. Fill stitching works much better.
Betty

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 pm

MacStitch wrote:Check your minimum stitch setting in the advanced settings for stitch recalculation in preferences. In general, running stitches such as quilting stitches are not good candidates for resizing. Fill stitching works much better.
Betty

Just to add to Betty's post here are the directions for finding the stitch settings.
With Essentials open Click on Edit at the top of the page.
Then click on Preferences.
Once on the Program Preference page click on Adjustments in the left index.
There you can adjust your stitch Max an Min lengths.

EastWitch2