Newbie question about Mapping a font

Get the most out of your software! Here we'll try to add useful tips regarding Essentials features.
KimG

Newbie question about Mapping a font

Post by KimG » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:31 am

I am newbie but I Love!!!! Embrilliance. I have mapped several fonts - thanks for the great videos. When you map a font, does it create a .bx file? If so, where do you find the bx file? The mapped fonts show up in my font selector but I don't see a .bx file associated with it. Thanks for the info.

EastWitch2

Re: Newbie question about Mapping a font

Post by EastWitch2 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:21 pm

When you map and save the letters of a digitized alphabet using Alpha Tricks you are mapping them as Key Strokes to the keys on your Computer Keyboard so you can just type the letters out when you want to make a text design in the Essentials or Alpha Tricks software.

A BX File was developed to be an installer or vehicle that holds different types of information that allows us to put that information into the Embrilliance Software.

BX Files can hold digitized pre mapped letters from an alphabet or hold other digitized designs for the Embrilliance Library or hold Colors or Complete Color Pallets for different Brands of Thread that we want to add to the software.

The BX file makes it very easy to add the information to the programs by simply dragging and dropping the file onto the open working window of the software and the information within the BX file is instantly installed into the software.

So if you purchased an Alphabet from a Digitizer that includes a BX File it would be a BX file that holds all the letters of the Alphabet that have been pre mapped to the keys of a computer keyboard by the Digitizer.

Because the Digitizer has already mapped the letters it saves you from having to map the letters into the software yourself.

The letters you map into the software yourself using Alpha Tricks are not any different from the letters that are dropped into the software using a BX File.

All mapped Alphabets show in the Font Selector Drop Down Menu with a Needle Icon beside it which indicates it has been mapped.

The only Alphabets in the Font Selector that don't have the Needle Icon beside them are the Built In Alphabets/fonts that come with the software.

We have an on going list of Vendors that sell Alphabet Sets which offer or include the BX files for their Digitized Alphabets.
The list located under the Tips And Techniques Section Under Alpha Tricks Section here on the Forum.

Here is the link to that List of Vendors.
http://embrilliance.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=775

Hope this answers your question!
EastWitch2

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Q : When you map a font, does it create a .bx file?
A : Yes, a BX file is created.

Q : Where do you find the bx file?
A :

On Windows look in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\Embrilliance\Fonts\Imported
On Mac look in ~/Library/Containers/com.britonleap.Embrilliance/Data/Library/Application Support/Embrilliance/Fonts/Imported

Mac Users: Just copy the above and enter it into the box in the Go To Folder... option in the Finder Go Menu
Mac embroidery software "For The Rest Of Us!"

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Mac wrote:Q : When you map a font, does it create a .bx file?
A : Yes, a BX file is created.

Q : Where do you find the bx file?
A :

On Windows look in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\Embrilliance\Fonts\Imported
On Mac look in ~/Library/Containers/com.britonleap.Embrilliance/Data/Library/Application Support/Embrilliance/Fonts/Imported

Mac Users: Just copy the above and enter it into the box in the Go To Folder... option in the Finder Go Menu
Mac
On my Windows Vista I found the imported Font File you posted about but for each of my imported font files there is a BF File and a LF File but there isn't a BX File.
What is the difference can you elaborate more on this?

EastWitch2

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Just to clarify what a BX File is you may want to read what Brian posted on the Link below.
He refers to a BX File as an Installer.
http://embrilliance.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 4&start=10

So a BX File allows you to install various types of files into the Embrilliance programs,
But the files it installs are not BX files.

Also when you purchase an Alphabet from a Digitizer it may include a BX file for that Alphabet.
The files within the BX file are pre mapped letters of the Alphabet for the Embrilliance software.

Many of us refer to these purchased fonts as BX Fonts when in fact they are not they only come in a BX file for installation into the Embrilliance Software.
We should be referring to these as Pre Mapped Fonts.

They do not have a .bx file extention in the name of the letter files.

The Alphabets that we map and save into Alpha Tricks are not bx files or they are not saved as BX files in the software.
They are stitch files of letters that have been mapped to keys on a computer key board to use within the software.

The file extension for the pre mapped letter files and the letter files we map manually are the same as far as I can see.

EastWitch2

KimG

Post by KimG » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks so much for the info. I am on a Mac and I wasn't sure if Embrilliance was saving a file somewhere. This helps alot. Thanks again.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:35 am

Well, I guess I misspoke, the mapped font is in the BF file, its license for use is the LF file.
Mac embroidery software "For The Rest Of Us!"