change location of font storage folder?

MissTi

change location of font storage folder?

Post by MissTi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:51 am

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default location of the font storage folder? I would like to keep it in my dropbox so it is always backed up.

EastWitch2

Re: change location of font storage folder?

Post by EastWitch2 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Have a look at this post on the same subject here on the forum as I think it answers your question about how to back up Font Folder.

Click link below.
http://www.embrilliance.com/phpBB3/view ... f=23&t=435

EastWitch2

MissTi

Post by MissTi » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:11 pm

I am sorry my question was not clear. I want to back up the folder in the program where it is internally storing the fonts. It is very time-consuming to import my fonts. I don't want to lose them if something should happen to my local hard drive and rather than having to keep making copies to keep the backup up to date as I am importing my fonts, it would be much easier if it were to "live" in an automatically backed-up folder.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi,
It's an idea we pursued early on, however it is fraught with difficulty.

The OSX AppStore system has rules which are changing to prevent the program from writing to another program's folder, and UAC in Windows would be equally sticky. Advanced users might be able to set up their permissions, but we serve a community where power-users are few in number.

Besides which, you should be backing up your documents folder. A lot of programs will have to have you save in Documents. iTunes comes to mind, for instance.

It might be an idea for the DropBox folks, as you are treating that service like a backup, which sounds reasonable.

Meanwhile, after importing a bunch of fonts, you could copy them over to DropBox for distributed storage.
Regards,
-Brian

Embroidery software and designs for Mac and Windows.
"Embroidery for the Rest Of Us!"

karosd42

Post by karosd42 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:26 am

I just realized that my fonts aren't in a place that gets automatically backed up by dropbox, so until I can get my darlin' to add the embrilliance directory to our dropbox automatic backup, I have created a folder within a directory that DOES get automatically backed up, and copied all of them there. Since I have a ton of fonts, I really don't want to lose them when (notice I don't say "if") something crashes. Thanx for the information and reminder