adding designs to mapped fonts

Camie

adding designs to mapped fonts

Post by Camie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:06 pm

I am collecting letters and adding them to my mapped font in AlphaTricks as new letters come in. I just added a new letter and all of the previously mapped letters which had been realigned (j, p, q, etc.) reverted to their original position and I had to adjust them again. Shouldn't they stay where I put them the first time? I don't want to have to do it each time I add a new letter.

EastWitch2

Re: adding designs to mapped fonts

Post by EastWitch2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Camie wrote:I am collecting letters and adding them to my mapped font in AlphaTricks as new letters come in. I just added a new letter and all of the previously mapped letters which had been realigned (j, p, q, etc.) reverted to their original position and I had to adjust them again. Shouldn't they stay where I put them the first time? I don't want to have to do it each time I add a new letter.

Camie
When you say you added a letter did you click Yes when the window pops up asking you, "Do you want to import a font" and then you imported the new letter?

First you mapped the first letter/s into Alpha Tricks and saved them and named the saved Font into Alpha Tricks.

When you want to add another letter to the ones you already mapped for a specific Font say No in the pop up window that asks you if you want to import a font.

In the list of Fonts that you have already mapped find the name of the Font that you want to add a letter to in the list of Mapped Fonts on the left side of the Window at the top using the Drop Down Arrow.
Click on the name of the font so it shows up in the Font Window

Now try using the Add Design button on the right side of the main Import Font Window and then go to the file on your computer where the letter is that you want to add and click on the letter and import it.

Then you should be able to line the added letter up to the base line if need be in the mapping window and then map the letter using the key on your keyboard that correspond to the letter you want to map.
For instance if the letter is a lower case m click your m key on your computer key board keys to map it .

Then click the Save button so the letter is saved into the Font that you selected that you wanted to add the letter to.

See if that works for you without having to realign the other letters you have already mapped for that Font.
When I have time I will test this out to see if it works as I think it should.

EastWitch2

Camie

Post by Camie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:09 am

Yes, I followed the process that you outlined here. When I import a new letter everything reverts back to original alignment.

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:05 pm

Camie wrote:Yes, I followed the process that you outlined here. When I import a new letter everything reverts back to original alignment.
Hi Camie!
I just tested this too and have the same results as you do.
I tried by adding several letters and also just one letter and had to realign what was already mapped and saved previously.

I contacted Embrilliance Support and hope that Brian or Lisa will answer this for us here on the Forum.
I am hoping that it can be corrected within the program or that we find out what we are doing wrong so we can correct this ourselves when adding letters to an already mapped and saved font.

EastWitch2

LisaSewBubbles

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks for the message using the Contact Us form!

We are investigating this - I don't think you are doing anything wrong. We will have to look into this to see if there is something we can do to keep the alignment when new characters are added to an existing font.
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Thank you Lisa for answering our question on this matter.

Camie
Perhaps it would be easier for you to save your downloaded letters for each Alphabet/Font you are collecting into folders on your computer and then map them all at once into Alpha Tricks once you have all the letters.

That way you would only have to import all the letters into Alpha Tricks and align the letters to the baseline one time and then save the complete font into Alpha Tricks.

I usually do this for free Alphabets that I collect from websites that only give out 1 or 2 letters at a time.

EastWitch2

LisaSewBubbles

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:40 pm

The purpose of AlphaTricks is that it allows you to map complete alphabets. When you add new characters to an alphabet, this requires that all the baselines need to be recalculated based upon the new average size of the letters.

So, if you are adding letters to an alphabet one at a time, don't adjust the baselines until the alphabet is complete!
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!