Doesn't work even with Full Disk Access

Any discussion with Thumbnailer can go here.
mickey524
Re: Doesn't work even with Full Disk Access

Post by mickey524 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:14 pm

Still not resolved, it's really an issue with Catalina but it wants to stay incognito as no one has been able to advise a fix. I finally gave up and traded in my 2013 MacBook Air for a brand new iMac, still with Catalina. Thumbnailer is now displaying correctly - HOORAY! If you do this, it may take one or two reboots for it to work but don't give up too soon. :)

Lacewood

Post by Lacewood » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 pm

thanks ill keep trying
If at first you do succeed... try not to look too astonished"

jwlegs

Post by jwlegs » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:04 pm

I have tried all of the work arounds on my Mac running Catalina 10.15.4. As of today, I have been unable to get Thumbnailer to work. It will install. I can choose which of the files I want it to "read." But all I get is no thumbnail of the design, only a generic Embrilliance logo with .pes or .dst at the end of the file name.

This software was originally written for the Mac, which is why I invested in it. The portion of the software that I have used the most is Thumbnailer. It is so disappointing that we haven't gotten the problem resolved.

What can we do? If it is an Apple Catalina issue, do we need to email Apple and ask them to fix it? If so, I believe there are enough of us to unite and do so to get their attention. Suggestions anyone?

peaceloveknit

Post by peaceloveknit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:49 pm

I am running Catalina and my Thumbnailer is working correctly.

2017 MacBook Pro 13inch
Catalina 10.15.4
Thumbnailer V 2.98
Embrilliance Modules: 1.164
AlphaTricks
Essentials
Enthusiast
Stitchartist L2&3

Security & Privacy System Preferences
Full Disk Access Embrilliance
Files and Folders Embrilliance
Accessibility Embrilliance

I am happy to walk through other settings with anyone that wants to compare.
Perhaps we can connect via chat or something more real time.
Maria
Running Thumbnailer, Essentials, Enthusiast, Alpha Tricks and Stitch Artist Level 3
MacBook Pro with Catalina
Brother PR655
Apple geek who loves Embroidery, Knitting, Sewing and Quilting

mickey524

Post by mickey524 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:23 pm

What computer/year do you have? I think that’s part of the issue. My brand new iMac is working but the 2012 MacbookAir does not, even with settings you have mentioned.

peaceloveknit

Post by peaceloveknit » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:28 am

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro. I will edit and add this to my original post as well.
Maria
Running Thumbnailer, Essentials, Enthusiast, Alpha Tricks and Stitch Artist Level 3
MacBook Pro with Catalina
Brother PR655
Apple geek who loves Embroidery, Knitting, Sewing and Quilting

prunehead

Post by prunehead » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:20 pm

I had the same problem, all my icons were gone, just the yellow Embrilliance box with the needle. I tried everything they said to do over and over, and nothing has worked. I decided to get Stitch Buddy - a free version available from from the App Store, and after getting it, restarted my computer, allowed full access, and all my icons are back! However, the designs are opening in Stitch Buddy, so I go to "Open With", click on all applications, then click Embrilliance, and the design opens allowing me to modify it. It's a pain having to do it this way, but it works for me. Hope this helps someone else. I had no luck whatsoever contacting Embrilliance, as they say it's a problem with Catalina, and I won't even bother trying to contact Apple, as they have no idea what embroiderers do and what we need.

Lynda Ballard

I finally got Thumbnailer to work with Catalina

Post by Lynda Ballard » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:48 pm

In order to get Thumbnailer to work on my Mac after upgrading to Catalina I had to erase my hard disk, install Catalina, and copy my data files back to my computer.
First, and most important, copy all of your files to an external hard disk. Do not use backup/restore.
Every time I tried to restore files from the backup Thumbnailer quit working and I had to start over.
It's a lot of work, but it is worth it to me to have Thumbnailer back. As an added bonus my computer is running faster after rebuilding my hard disk and getting rid of a lot of stuff I never use.
Instructions on how to erase your hard disk and install Catalina is on Apple's website. If you have an Apple store close by they will do it for you. Just be sure to make a copy of your files first.

azjune

Post by azjune » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:26 pm

I am right there with the rest of you that no longer have a working version of Thumbnailer since upgrading to MacOS Catalina and am I am very frustrated by this. I really takes a lot of the joy out of embroidery since it is not easy to visually identify my designs.
I have a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), Catalina 10.15.5.
Like so many times since upgrading to Catalina, I just downloaded the latest version of Embrilliance for Mac (1.164 just downloaded and installed over previous same version today) as well as Thumbnailer Mac OSX 2.99 pkg, and have ensured that I have granted Full Disc Access and restarted my computer. Thumbnailer is still not working for me. :(
After reading pruneheads post about trying Stitch Buddy, I decided to try and and I can finally see most of my icons again. Unfortunately, as prunehead indicated, I do have to choose "open with" and choose Embrilliance from the list, but at least I can now see thumbnails of my designs.
I don't understand why an app that I downloaded for free can show me the icons, but the Embrilliance program that I paid for can not do the same. :?: :x
It is my future intention to do what Lynda Ballard wrote and eventually erase my hard drive and install either Mohave again, or Catalina, just not sure which is the better option. (I am currently moving all of my files off of my macbook, onto an ext HD.)
If someone else has other options to try, I am willing, but at this point, I believe that I have tried them all.

prunehead wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:20 pm
I had the same problem, all my icons were gone, just the yellow Embrilliance box with the needle. I tried everything they said to do over and over, and nothing has worked. I decided to get Stitch Buddy - a free version available from from the App Store, and after getting it, restarted my computer, allowed full access, and all my icons are back! However, the designs are opening in Stitch Buddy, so I go to "Open With", click on all applications, then click Embrilliance, and the design opens allowing me to modify it. It's a pain having to do it this way, but it works for me. Hope this helps someone else. I had no luck whatsoever contacting Embrilliance, as they say it's a problem with Catalina, and I won't even bother trying to contact Apple, as they have no idea what embroiderers do and what we need.
Lynda Ballard wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:48 pm
In order to get Thumbnailer to work on my Mac after upgrading to Catalina I had to erase my hard disk, install Catalina, and copy my data files back to my computer.
First, and most important, copy all of your files to an external hard disk. Do not use backup/restore.
Every time I tried to restore files from the backup Thumbnailer quit working and I had to start over.
It's a lot of work, but it is worth it to me to have Thumbnailer back. As an added bonus my computer is running faster after rebuilding my hard disk and getting rid of a lot of stuff I never use.
Instructions on how to erase your hard disk and install Catalina is on Apple's website. If you have an Apple store close by they will do it for you. Just be sure to make a copy of your files first.