Compare to Embird, and Q about fonts

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
jcbsews
Compare to Embird, and Q about fonts

Post by jcbsews » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 am

Hello!

I have owned ConvertIt for Mac since nearly day one, and I'm very excited to have a possible mac option for basic editing. The program I use most, now, is Embird (on a windows netbook dedicated to the task). Can anyone with both, or who has used both, comment on how similar (or not) Essentials is to the feature set of Embird? I like Embird particularly for the pre-digitized fonts (which have to be purchased), but Font Collection 1 seems to hit all the typefaces I'd miss from Embird. Has anyone used both programs for lettering, to compare the two when stitched out?

To ask more specifically about the fonts, do the fonts built into Essentials allow you to choose underlay types (I prefer zigzag to edge or center stitch usually, but I use them all), and choose where the connection points are (Embird is either baseline or nearest point)? If not, where does an Essentials font place the letter connection stitches, and what underlays, if any, are possible?

Thanks for your help!
JC

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Compare to Embird, and Q about fonts

Post by Admin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi, JC,
Some of your questions, regarding the stitch properties of the fonts, can be answered by looking at the stitch properties for the fonts:
http://embrilliance.com/Help/Essentials ... ntials.htm
Look at the section, "Create Lettering," which has a screen shot of that property page.

You can adjust density and underlay as well as compensation and our patented Remove Hidden Stitches which lets you overlap letters within a design. There are also a number of Monogramming features that are quite handy, and all fonts can be used in all modes: Multi-Line, Monogram and Circle.

The connectors in Essentials are trimmed (unless the proximity is close enough to nest a drop stitch, and I forget that value right now) and their exit location is determined on a per-font basis; although almost never is it baseline, it is usually near the next letter in a left-to-right sequence. Fonts that we are working on for pack 2, 3 etc. will likely have some additional intelligence as to connectors.

As this program is designed for hobby embroiderers, we made that choice specifically for ease-of use. Keep in mind too that many of the fonts go quite large (some as much as 12") and interactively change stitches from satin to filled column as needed. There is even an automatic compensation feature which allows for a significant reduction in size. So the flexibility is a significant feature. However, we keep the stitch options to a hobby level. We have used these features in other software brands and have thousands of customers using them, so I think it safe to say that you will be pleased with the results, even if there are a few trade-offs with the feature set as compared to another product.

Notwithstanding the modernization of interactivity, the fonts originated from the commercial industry, and if you saw their original names, you would recognize them.

If we have the market for it, we can open up more options in a commercial edition of the software, and we are continuously evaluating that. We would naturally have to charge competitively for such an item. Features such as trims, nearest points, fill patterns and editing of the font objects (for logo creation as an example) are all on the table.

Don't forget that our store as a 30-day guarantee!

Thanks for the questions,
-b

Embroidery software and designs for Mac and Windows.
"Embroidery for the Rest Of Us!"

jcbsews

Re: Compare to Embird, and Q about fonts

Post by jcbsews » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:43 am

Thank you for your time and such a thorough reply!

For the record, I AM a hobby embroiderer, but my machine is the Babylock EMP6 6 needle, and trimming between small letters makes it SO slow... Do you know if the machine is what overrides trimming for those, or if your fonts would force a trim?

Thanks again, I look forward to using it!

JC