What Am I Doing Wrong?

pamsquilt

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Post by pamsquilt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Very pleased that others are having such fun with AlphaTricks, but I cannot get it to work for me. I have the video running beside me and am following along step-by-step, but here is what happens:
When the Import Font pop-up pops up, it has that first box (beside the rubbish bin) pre-filled with "ch-v" - what's that all about? On the video it is showing as "0" (zero), so I change it to that. Then I go about rearranging all the letters with long tails (j, g, y etc) and any others that need a bit of a nudge - just like on the video. Satisfied with what I have, I click "Save Font" only to get a message that "not all designs are mapped to a key". What does that mean? How do I organize for all designs to be mapped to a key? Why does my default Letter box always show ch-v, not zero? Does this affect the outcome at all? The font I am working on has numbers zero to nine - do I have to click the "0-9" button as well as the "Aa-Zz" button? When I have clicked the Save Font button (and got the above-mentioned message, and my font is not saved) the selection bars always go straight to the letter "v" - why? I have the selection bars around the number "0" when I click on "Save Font". Does it matter which letter is between the selection bars when you click on "Save Font"? I think I still have a lot of questions about getting Alpha Tricks to work, but if I can get some useful answers to these, maybe I can work the rest out for myself. Many many thanks in advance.

pamsquilt

Re: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Post by pamsquilt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Sorry - forgot something in the chain of events listed in my previous post - it reads like I have not clicked the "Aa-Zz" button to map the fonts before clicking to Save, but I did do that, just like on the video.

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Click the buttons according to the first character listed. If numbers, click the 0-9 button. That will map the numbers and the cursor will move to the 'A'. Then click the Aa-Zz button and all of the letters will be mapped. If you brought in punctuation at the end, type the appropriate keyboard key for each. Now, align all the letters that need it and click save and the program will be happy.
Hope this helps,
Betty

pamsquilt

Post by pamsquilt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Okay - panic over. I just tried another font and it worked perfectly. Could swear I followed exactly the same procedure as before, but different result this time. Maybe the first font I chose was not a good choice - design files corrupt ??? - it is one I have never used as an actual embroidery to date. That might need further investigation another day. Anyway, I think I have it figured - yes, you do have to click both Aa-Zz and 0-9 buttons if your font has numbers. I just ignored whatever letters were in the Letter box this time - did not change it to zero. So ... have successfully mapped one size of one font of my almost 600 fonts .... it's going to be a long day ..... have a good one, folks. Cheers, Pam

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:18 pm

If you map all of your 600 fonts in their various sizes, you will have an extremely long menu to choose a font from. I have over 900 fonts in various sizes. I mapped 150 of them and that's about all I have the patience to choose from. You can always add more at a later time and delete the ones that you find that you aren't using. Have fun,
Betty

LisaSewBubbles

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 am

Assigned letter.png
Assigned letter.png (93.07 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
If you see gobbly gook where the arrow points -- that is actually the start of the filename for the design that is in the focus area. In this picture the capital letter A. It has not been assigned a keystroke yet....

So the first thing I would do with this font is click the Aa-Zz button to map the letters -- you will now see the keystroke assigned to each in that same spot -- and then I would go back and make my adjustments.

Glad you figured it out with help from Betty!! She is right -- because you're going to see how easy it is to map your alphabets - there is no need to map all 600 of them. I just map as I want to use them.
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!